Xylitol is Poisonous to Dogs

December 2, 2008

My wife discovered xylitol as a exchange student in Finland. She tends to seek out xylitol gum. I’ve just learned that the stuff is extremely poisonous to dogs, like antifreeze or rat poison. It’s much worse than chocolate.

According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), dogs ingesting greater than 0.1 g/kg of xylitol should be considered at risk for hypoglycemia. At doses exceeding 0.5 g/kg, there is risk of liver failure and other more serious effects. Eating a couple of pieces of xylitol gum could be enough to kill your dog.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: